What kind of volunteer opportunity is Day of Caring?
A United Way Day of Caring is a unique opportunity for employees, students and other groups to come together and make a difference in our community by taking part in meaningful volunteer projects with local community organizations.
Here are a few examples:
- Help host a special event such as a community barbeque, picnic or holiday party
- Spruce up an agency partner’s walls with a fresh coat of paint
- Work alongside community residents to help beautify a neighbourhood by planting flowers or participating in a community cleanup
- Collect donations of much-needed items, including gently used clothing or household goods, hygiene products, or new socks and underwear
- Invite a group of youth to your workplace and help them explore potential career opportunities
United Way will match your group with an agency partner or not-for-profit organization to complete a project that complements your priorities, schedule and available people power.
What do I need to know?
- Day of Caring projects are available year-round and are distributed on a first come, first served basis.
- Day of Caring projects are meant for groups. Most projects require anywhere from 5 to 20 volunteers.
- A list of projects currently available will be provided for you to choose from. If you have an idea for a project that is not on our list, please let us know and we will see if there is a need for this kind of project in the community.
- Most projects require two to four weeks of planning. Larger, more complex projects may require more time to plan.
- Most projects are a half-day or a full-day in length. Some larger projects may span over multiple days.
- All volunteers are required to sign a Media Release form that allows us to take pictures at the Day of Caring. We encourage volunteers to take digital pictures during their project and share with United Way to post on our website and distribute through social media.
How do I get started?
Contact our Community Involvement Manager, Melissa Burgess (204-924-4273 or firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know what kind of group volunteer experience you’re looking for.