What kind of volunteer opportunity is Day of Caring?
A United Way Day of Caring is a unique opportunity for employees and other groups to come together and make a difference in our community by taking part in meaningful volunteer projects with local community organizations.
Here are a few examples:
- Help host a special event such as a community barbeque, picnic or holiday party
- Spruce up an agency partner’s walls with a fresh coat of paint
- Work alongside community residents to beautify a neighbourhood by planting flowers or participating in a community cleanup
- Collect donations of much-needed items, including gently used clothing or household goods, hygiene products, or new socks and underwear
United Way will match your group with an agency partner or not-for-profit organization to complete a project that complements your priorities, schedule and available people power.
What do I need to know?
- Day of Caring projects are available year-round and are distributed on a first come, first served basis.
- Day of Caring projects are meant for groups. Most projects require anywhere from 5 to 20 volunteers.
- A list of projects currently available will be provided for you to choose from. If you have an idea for a project that is not on our list, please let us know and we will see if there is a need for this kind of project in the community.
- Most projects require two to four weeks of planning. Larger, more complex projects may require more time to plan.
- Most projects are a half-day or a full-day in length. Some larger projects may span over multiple days.
- All volunteers are required to sign a waiver form that allows us to take photos. We encourage volunteers to take digital pictures during their Day of Caring (#wpgdayofcaring) and share them with United Way (@unitedwaywpg).
How do I get started?
Contact our Community Involvement Manager, Melissa Burgess (204-924-4273 or email@example.com) for an up-to-date listing of Day of Caring volunteer projects and Collection Drives.
If you are a community organization that needs help with a project or event, please fill out a Day of Caring request form and email or fax it to Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-453-6198