Winnipeg’s labour community is already hard at work raising money for United Way after officially kicking off its 2011 fundraising campaign with a Pre-Plane-Pull, Post-Picnic Party for the People.
Close to 100 people gathered on top of the Union Centre parkade on Monday, September 12, 2011 for a barbeque lunch and the chance to dunk some notable labour reps including:
- Kevin Rebeck, president of the Manitoba Federation of Labour
- Dave Sauer, president of the Winnipeg Labour Council
- Jim Girden, from Amalgamated Transit Union 1505
- Erin McGee, from the Canadian Office & Professional Employees Union 342
- Mark Hadder, from the Canadian Union of Public Employees 998 (pictured)
- Mike Skaftfeld, from the Canadian Labour Congress
Doug Finkbiner, United Way’s Incoming Campaign Chair for 2012, inspired the crowd in both word and deed, singlehandedly raising $100 when he volunteered as a “dunkee.”
Thanks to all volunteers for being such great sports and for helping raise more than $500 in the process.