“Personal information” is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual, except business contact information and publicly available information (e.g. telephone directories).
United Way Winnipeg respects the privacy of individuals by protecting personal information and adhering to legislative requirements with respect to protecting privacy.
United Way Winnipeg values the trust of all individuals with which it relates and recognizes that maintaining this trust requires that United Way Winnipeg be accountable in how it collects and uses personal information.
Personal Information Collected
During the course of United Way Winnipeg’s various activities, United Way frequently gathers and uses personal information.
United Way only collects information that is needed to administer transactions, conform to procedures required by law, understand donor interests and demographics, build strong relationships, and meet service expectations.
How Personal Information is Collected
United Way Winnipeg collects information in the following ways:
- Directly from individuals;
- directly from an individual’s employer;
- from pledge cards; and/or
- referrals from others.
How Personal Information is Used
United Way Winnipeg does not sell or trade personal information and does not “rent” out mailing lists.
During the course of United Way’s various activities, personal information is gathered and used to:
- administer transactions;
- conform to procedures required by law;
- understand donor interests and demographics;
- build strong relationships; and
- meet service expectations.
Personal information is disclosed or provided to third parties only in the following circumstances:
- Donor recognition – donors may be publicly recognized by United Way Winnipeg in various publications and events. If a donor wishes to remain anonymous, they have the opportunity to indicate this in the space provided on their pledge form.
- Third party services – to maintain cost effectiveness and provide a high level of service, services are periodically provided by third parties on United Way’s behalf. These companies enter into confidentiality agreements with United Way Winnipeg, requiring them to protect the information while in their control and not to keep any personal information on file.
- Designations to specific charities – where a portion of a donor’s gift is directed to a specific charitable organization, the amount of the donation, the name and address of the donor may be forwarded to the recipient organization. If the donor does not wish this to occur, they have the opportunity to indicate this in the space provided on their pledge form.
United Way Winnipeg’s Commitment to Information Protection
Personal information gathered by United Way Winnipeg is kept in strict confidence. Confidentiality obligations are imposed on staff and volunteers who are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) it was obtained. Safeguards are in place to ensure that information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was gathered. Measures are taken to ensure the integrity of information and to prevent its being lost or inadvertently destroyed.
United Way of Winnipeg secures your information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. Information is stored in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorized access. We use password protocols and encryption software to protect personal information that is received and/or provided through the internet. Software is routinely updated to maximize the protection of such information.
Comments and Feedback
United Way welcomes comments regarding the Statement of Privacy and its implementation.
United Way Winnipeg will occasionally update this policy to reflect feedback and operational changes.
To show United Way Winnipeg’s commitment to privacy, a Privacy Officer has been appointed.
You may contact the Privacy Officer through e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax at 453-6198, or by mail addressed to Privacy Officer, c/o United Way Winnipeg, 580 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 1C7.